Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Playlist Spirituality

This is an opportunity to name 36 songs that remind you of your values, your religious ideas, or other aspects about the way you find meaning in the world. In other words, this is Playlist Spirituality. Copy the list below and paste in your own document or the comments below and fill in the titles and artists for songs that remind you of each category. Don't worry about whether the title communicates why you chose the song. The important thing is whether the song is personally meaningful to you. Comments about why you chose the song are optional and welcome.


This 36-question version is a long survey that's just for fun. As discussed in class, the take-home activity for Coming of Age is much shorter. For CoA, pick six songs that communicate your spirituality. The songs can be in any style. They don't even have to have words. The songs should remind you of some of the questions we discuss in CoA: What happens after we die? What does it mean to live an ethical life? Why do people gather in community? What is holy or sacred? If you send Becky (click here to email) your 6-song playlist before May 6, we will try our very best to put all the songs chosen by the youth on mix CDs, which we will listen to on the car ride to the retreat on May 15.


Enjoy the survey!


Spiritual Theme Song


When I think about spirituality, the first song that comes to mind

1.


Songs About Humanity


Something in my past that had a big impact on me

2.


A turning point in my life

3.


An important ethical topic

4.


Great things about being human

5.

6.


Not-so-great things about being human

7.

8.


Songs related to God


Something that's holy or divine to me

9.


Feeling at home in the universe

10.


Something that bothers me about the idea of God

11.


Figuring out what I believe

12.


Songs About Loss


Pain

13.


Loss

14.


Death

15.


Songs that help me cope with loss, death, and pain

16.

17.

18.

19.


Songs About Community


Earth Community

20.


Belonging in a group of people

21.

22.


Church or religious community

23.


Family (either the family I choose or the family I didn't get to choose)

24.


Songs Approaching the Meaning of Life


The kind of person I aspire to be

25.


My talents and gifts

26.

27.


Something I want to practice

28.


Things that give life meaning

29.

30.



Anything Else?

Songs describing my spirituality that I haven't already mentioned

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.


No comments:

Post a Comment